Happy blogiversary!!! 🎈🎉🎈🎉🎈🎉🎈
On November 12, 2016, when I was supposed to be writing a term paper for a graduate seminar, I googled WordPress, clicked “Get Started,” and wrote my very first blog post. Every Shade of Neutral has gone through a few transformations in a year, and quite honestly I never expected to stick with this, but blogging has brought me so much joy over the past 365 days.
To reflect on what this entire process has meant for me, I thought I would break down the five biggest benefits of blogging, particularly for small business owners, freelancers, and organizations.
Five Benefits of Blogging
- Ability to personalize. Your blog is yours, and you can make it exactly what you want. Social media can’t give you that.
- You control the length. Social media is built for speedy, concise, easy-to-digest information that doesn’t have a long shelf life. On your blog, you can get into the details and really give specifics.
- Relationship-building. I’ve met so many kind people via WordPress, people I would have never had the pleasure of knowing existed, if it weren’t for this blog. Blogging introduces you to a kind, supportive network filled with individuals who share similar interests, passions, hobbies, and virtually anything else you could possibly conceive.
- Portfolio cultivation. This one is particularly important for freelancers. Running a blog automatically doubles as a portfolio for interested clients. They can see your writing style, expertise, and most importantly in my opinion, your personality.
- Lessons learned. From the more tangible lessons, like learning HTML to create my website, to the more emotional exercises, like those in patience while trying to teach myself HTML, blogging provides a space to make mistakes, try again, and make something that is all your own, something that you can be proud to share.
This experience has been so instructive, challenging, and just plain fun. Thanks for coming along for the ride. 💖